Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Chapter 9 My Father Comes Around

August 14, 1990

The next day, Dr. Bill called me and said he had something for me. He asked me to come to his house so I could meet his wife, Annie. We had a very comfortable talk. He still said he could not remember. But, regardless, he told me stories about his family. He spoke proudly of his son who is a doctor, his other son and his daughter who is also a singer. Annie is a jewel as well. They wanted to talk to Shirley to see if she could jog his memory. I called her first to make sure it was alright for him to call her. She said okay, but was really skeptical about his not remembering. At about 9:00 p.m., Dr. Bill called me and said, "She's right. You are my daughter." He said he seemed to recall a red nightgown. Shirley said she never owned a red nightgown. LOL! But, something she said jogged his memory. Annie talked to me as well saying, "We are ready and willing to accept you into our family as our daughter." They both want to meet with Shirley if she comes to OKC soon. This whole reaction blew my mind! 

In spite of a fear of the unknown, I always deep inside thought my mother would need to at least see me once for her own peace of mind. I think I would if I had given up a child. But, I NEVER in my wildest dreams expected to find an accepting father, let alone his dear wife as well. There is no doubt that this is from a Higher Power.  Later in the week, I was sitting in my office at the hospital where I work. I heard an overhead page for Dr. Bill Hubbard to ICU. He had admitted a patient into my hospital. I had never seen him there before. He just came there to run into me. He brought me a tape of his singing. He has visited me in my office twice when he made his rounds.

August 18, 1990 

I took my family to his house.We had a nice visit. It was storming when we left. We ran some errands on the way home. When I walked in the door the phone was ringing. It was Bill checking to make sure we were alright. He had seen the news there were some bad storms out our way. I felt so good. That was just like a dad! 

The first visit with my dad and my kids.


I think I look like my dad. 


This is short, I know. But it is a good stopping point. Coming up, I fly to Florida to meet my birthmother and siblings. ❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment